Two candidates are running for State Senator in the November 4, 2014 election including Mike McGuire and Lawrence Wiesner. Four candidates ran for one seat in the June 3, 2014 primary with the following Marin results: Harry V. Lehmann (5.38%), Derek Knell (18.14%), Mike McGuire (54.80%), and Lawrence R. Wiesner (21.56%). Please scroll down to view their interviews.
District 2 includes all of Marin, Mendocino, Lake, Humboldt, Trinity and Del Norte counties. In Sonoma County, it includes Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Windsor, Healdsburg, Geyserville and Cloverdale.
State senators and state assembly members make up the legislative arm of state government. Senators and assembly members operate in their state’s senate and House of Representatives respectively.
Legislators must listen to constituents, write laws, and work within their committees, while forming relationships with other legislators who have different political views. Committee hearings may be held on various policies. They must debate and persuade other legislative members to support or oppose particular bills.
These elected representatives appropriate funds for the daily operations of the state, develop an annual budget and determine state tax policy/rates. They must act in a managerial role to oversee staff and advisers. Legislators who participate in committees must oversee other committee members as well as contractors responsible for projects within their district. Public works and construction projects require oversight.
- United States citizen
- California resident for 3 years
- Registered Voter in their district
- Resident in legislative district for one year
Successful Candidates will likely have these additional qualifications, experience and/or skills:
- Communication skills including verbal and written
- Policy development and review
- Negotiations and debate
- Management and organizational
- Budget and resource allocation
Representatives with legislative and policy expertise combined with the knowledge of the budgetary process that facilitates the appropriate allocation of common resources for the benefit of community members tend to be effective governmental administrators. Such an individual will likely address the needs of the citizens of their specific geographic district within the state, as well as the citizens of the entire state.
Organizational and Financial Matters
- Budget: $107 million general fund and $156 million total state funds
- Members: 40 Senators and 80 Assembly members in the State of California
- Length of term: 4 years (limited to 12 years in either house)
- Authority: Article IV, California Constitution
- Salary: $95,291 +141.86 per day in session
- Sessions: January to September
Harry V. Lehmann
- Professional Experience: Ventured backed CEO, Green Swan, Inc.; Scientific/Engineering/Intellectual Property Litigation Attorney; Inventor
- Governing Experience: USF Student President; Public Activist
- Education: B.A., San Francisco State; J.D., University of San Francisco
- Professional Experience: Project Manager, Strahm Communications; Small Business Owner, Graphic Arts Management
- Governing Experience: Novato Unified School District Trustee
- Education: San Rafael High School
- Professional Experience: Business manager
- Governing Experience: Board of Supervisors, Sonoma; Former Healdsburg City Councilmember
- Education: B.A., Sonoma State University; M.A., University of San Francisco
Lawrence R. Wiesner
- Professional Experience: CPA sole proprietor
- Education: B.A., San Francisco State